Who We Are
The Reformed Church of Bronxville is a family of faith, a home for all, at the heart of the community. Inside our doors you will find:
- A beautiful sanctuary where we glorify God with inspiring preaching and magnificent music
- A gracious, welcoming community powered by the energy of friendship and fellowship
- An intellectually curious congregation that celebrates tradition and embraces innovation
- An opportunity to engage in the life and work of a church whose members support and care for one another and for their neighbors, near and far
We strive to create a community of extraordinary love and service, with Jesus at the center. We do this by loving God with all our hearts; accepting all people; caring for all people; growing all people; serving all people; and providing excellent programs for children and youth.
Our members and visitors come from a variety of faith traditions: Presbyterian, Methodist, Evangelical, UCC, Baptist, Episcopal, Roman Catholic—and Reformed, of course—to name a few. Some are just starting to explore what it means to follow Jesus, while others describe themselves as lifelong Christians.
Wherever you are on your spiritual journey, you are welcome here.
The Reformed Church of Bronxville dates to April 9, 1850. On that day, our founders gathered on the hill above what is now Pondfield Road and Midland Avenue in Bronxville (then Underhill’s Crossing) to dedicate their first church building. It was a small, New England-style clapboard structure that remained until 1926, when the present sanctuary was completed. The two-acre lot on which it stood had been given to them the year before by the Reverend Robert Bolton, an Episcopal minister, who owned 150 acres of local land.
A local expression of the Reformed Church in America (the former Dutch Reformed Church), RCB’s pre-history dates even further back—to 1628—when Dutch settlers held their first worship service above a grist mill at the southern tip of New Amsterdam. Services have continued uninterrupted since then, so RCB is part of the oldest Protestant church in North America with a continuing ministry.
By 1923, when the Village of Bronxville had become a bedroom community of New York City (as well as a haven for artists and writers, especially in the Lawrence Park section), the congregation voted to build a larger church building. They retained architect Harry Leslie Walker, a church member, who also designed Bronxville High School (1924) and Bronxville Public Library (1942).
The new building was dedicated in 1926. The stained glass windows were designed by Charles J. Connick, arguably the most prominent stained glass designer of the 20th century after Louis Comfort Tiffany.
In 1950, recognizing the need to accommodate its expanding membership, RCB acquired the lot at the corner of Midland and Kraft Avenues. Over the next seven years, the Church embarked on an ambitious fundraising campaign and secured the architectural firm of Eggers & Higgins to design a new education wing (which now houses the Reformed Church Nursery School), a social hall, a parlor adjacent to the Narthex and a 40-foot expansion of the chancel to make space for a larger organ. The complex was dedicated in September 1957.
In recent years, The Reformed Church has grown from a Village-centered parish to a thriving house of worship that draws visitors from throughout Westchester County and the entire tri-state area.
While our congregation numbers around 900, The Reformed Church retains the intimate, small-town feel beloved by our members—a family of faith at the heart of the community.
Church Leadership: Elders and Deacons
Elders Maureen Barton, Suzanne Bloomer, David Harris, William Hertlein, Sophia Primps, Arleen Thomas, Elinor Urstadt, Dale Walker (Chair)
Deacons Ranson Hanau, Andrew Hogue, Aaron Hood, Ellen Kreger, Nancy Little, Spencer Pingel, Jack Randall, Andrew Rubenstein (Chair), Matthew Schetlick, Susanne Shoemaker, Lisa Sorensen, Tiffany Tinson, Margaret Torell, Peter Von Maur (Chair)
Officers The Reverend Samuel T. Clover, President; William Hertlein, Vice President; Arleen Thomas, Treasurer; Suzanne Bloomer, Clerk of Consistory and Elders
The Reformed Church of Bronxville
180 Pondfield Rd., Bronxville, NY 10708